Tuesday, July 21, 2009

So excited!

I have just ordered one FeralVilla from http://www.feralvilla.com/! I took the "Feral Fund" vase home yesterday, rolled up the change in papers, and was excited to count that we had $90. It may not sound like much, but to finally order one of these shelters is divine for me.
---
Last winter was bad. I spent very little time outside but still had constantly chapped lips due to the cold. Imagine what the poor cats were going through! I can see that they made it through, but who knows what they endured and where they found any bit of warmth. The igloos were a start, but we now need real shelters for these cats.
---
I talked to my dad a bit about the different types of shelters I have looked into, and we came to the conclusion that these shelters from http://www.feralvilla.com/ are our best bet. They will be sturdier, better insulated, and easier to assemble/make than our other options. Though they may be a little more expensive, I just want what is best for the cats.
---
If you go to http://www.feralvilla.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=3, you can see a picture of the inside of the FeralVilla. I like how the bottom area is simply entry for the second level, the insulated living space. The wind cannot get to them - and the insulated area is big enough for two medium-sized cats, but small enough to keep the heat in well for just one cat. Another aspect of the FeralVilla that I take comfort in is that the insulation they use not only keeps the heat in, but uses the body heat of the cat(s) and reflects it back.
---
Also, the roof is hinged for cleaning purposes - and to be able to put straw or other heating devices in, if necessary. I wonder, however, if this compromises the integrity of the insulation? But I'm sure they thought of that, right?
---
I expect it will be at least three weeks until it arrives, which is fine - we've still got some time before the winter. I do, however, want to raise more money for these shelters - and that may take some time. I know that not all of the cats will be inclined to share sleeping quarters, so I would love to have at the least three for the winter. Which means that we need to raise $155 - but we've already got $10, so just $145! = ) Yea!
---
I am so excited, guys! And so thankful to all my coworkers who helped by putting their spare change into our "Feral Fund" vase. I'm off to make some thank you cards for them. = )

No comments:

Post a Comment